Saturday, October 29, 2016

5 Things I Loved About Singapore

Many of us have had the ability to travel to a new country. Two summers ago, I had the opportunity to spend a week in Singapore, and I fell in love with the place. I can't wait to come back again one day, and I definitely see myself living there. Why?

1. It's got great public transportation. I hate driving, so reliable public transportation is a big perk for me. It's also better for the environment and cost-effective!


2. The food. I'm a big foodie, and I was able to try a variety of delicious foods in Singapore. Their food scene is pretty great, and I enjoyed this 100-layer cake that I can't stop thinking about. You can walk down a block and enjoy a midnight snack. No matter where you are, there's always some great food options within a quick walking distance.


3. It's so clean. I've been to cities where seeing a clean road is shocking (looking at you New York City). Yet, even with the vast amount of people living on such a small country, I was expecting some dirty streets and trash everywhere. That wasn't at all what I experienced. In Singapore, gum is actually illegal, so you won't find those black marks on the sidewalk you may often see. There's also no food or drinks on any of their public transportation, so the subways don't have a weird trashy smell to it.


4. Location. Singapore is located at the heart of Southeast Asia, so it's really easy to travel cheaply. I could have visited Malaysia for about $20 or taken a ferry boat to visit Indonesia. There's literally a port in one of the malls I went to, and the ferry boats had people from all over Asia who were casually visiting for the weekend. The proximity and the very low airfares are something to take advantage of for sure.


5. The city is alive and well. Singapore is a country/province/city all in one. With that, it's always vibrant. Whether it's the hustle and bustle in the weekday mornings as everyone heads to work or the nightlife where everyone is meeting up with friends at a cafe to snack and drink, there is always something to do. You can even go jogging at 10 p.m. along the bay, and it's completely safe.



If you're looking for the next country on your bucket list, I'd definitely put Singapore high up there. It's a unique place that I'm sure you'll fall in love with too!

2 comments:

  1. Love this article! I am actually currently planning a vacation for Spring Break this year and this post definitely helped me make my decision. It would be great to be able to see some surrounding places as well considering how inexpensive it is. Not to mention eat all of the delicious food :) Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of places I want to travel, Singapore does not usually come into mind. I had no idea there was so much to do and see in Singapore and now it is definitely on my radar for places to travel! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete