Friday, October 7, 2016

Georgia YouthSpeak Forum: Leading Change


The Georgia YouthSpeak Forum is happening this month, and I can't wait! I've been thinking a lot about how trivial some of the things I worry about are, which is very easy for college students especially. Many of us are taking classes, working, and involved with organizations on campus. Sometimes, thinking about things that go beyond showing up to a meeting on time or completing an assignment doesn't happen naturally; sometimes, we need to have the space to do it, and that's what the Georgia YouthSpeak Forum is all about.

Not only is it free (including lunch!!!) and open to non-UGA students too, but there will be some great speakers from The Home Depot, Umano, Thinc, Infosys, and the Institute of Leadership Advancement. This year's theme is "Leading Change," and some of the session topics are about how to be make yourself a better leader, leading change within the community, and working towards the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the 17 global goals that the United Nations wants to achieve by the year 2030.

I think it's these kinds of events that remind me to work for something that's bigger than myself, and it lets me meet new people that I otherwise would never have met. Some of UGA's student leaders expressed their interest and passion for the UN SDG's in this video. If you're interested in the event, find more information on their website.



No comments:

Post a Comment