Wednesday, October 19, 2016

8 Things I Learned from SparkSouth

This past Friday, I went to the Terry Executive Education Center in Atlanta to attend SparkSouth, a digital marketing conference for college students. Here are the 8 things I learned at the conference:

1. If you want to get a graduate school degree such as a Masters in Business Administration, it's okay to wait 2-3 years after you get your Bachelor's degree because that way, you'll have more real-world experience. However, try to go back before you turn 30 because life happens, and your priorities may shift if a partner, job, or kids join the picture.

2. Don't accept every LinkedIn invite. This is not a popularity contest, and if you haven't met them face-to-face or been introduced by a mutual connection, don't add them or accept the invite. It can be an easy way to "build your network" if you've just made an account, but don't do it.

3. When networking, balance self-confidence with self-awareness. As Dale Carnegie said, "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

4. It's okay to change jobs or companies if you're looking for something new and challenging. But, don't job hop every 1-2 years because it'll look bad on your part. Are you uncommitted? Are you difficult to work with? The concerns can go on and on.

5. Take the initiative to teach yourself. Whether it's getting certified in HubSpot's Inbound Marketing certificate and Google Analytics, watching videos on Lynda about SalesForce or Marketo, or taking a graphic design class to learn Adobe Creative Cloud, these are very important skills to have in the industry. It's not just your college's responsibility to teach you important technical skills.

6. Plan your career goals. Make a 2, 5 or even 10-year plan. Then, let your managers, supervisors, bosses, etc. know. Your employers play an instrumental role in getting you to achieve your goals. Letting them know will not only help them know how they should help you, but it also holds you accountable.

7. Say "Thank You." For every favor someone has done for you, no matter how small or big, remember to say "thank you." Those two little words can be easy to forget, but remember that someone took their time, energy, or even money to do that for you, so thank them.

8. Have an open mind. I was excited when I got my SparkSouth tickets back in August, but with the chaos of midterms, projects, and internship hunting, I started feeling frustrated that I'd be spending an entire Friday in Atlanta rather than going to class and work. I have so much to do, and I just don't have time for this stuff. I was very wrong. SparkSouth was an incredible experience, and I learned more than I thought I would. The honest answers, feedback, and advice came at a great time for me, and I don't have any regrets now about going.

Thank you SparkSouth for letting me connect with some inspiring and knowledgeable industry leaders and mentors!

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your thoughts about SPARKSouth! I completely agree with you. It was an incredible experience and it really helped open my eyes to all the different opportunities that marketing can offer. Your post was very interesting and offers valuable information for everyone - not just people that attended the conference. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post, I attended last year and was disappointed I couldn't attend again. I'm so happy you brought up LinkedIn... It's so NOT a popularity contest. I try to screen my connections only to those who could actually speak on my work ethic/experience. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended SparkSouth this year and loved it. The event was super informative and gave me the confidence to go out and find a career that I will love. I think that all eight things you provided above hit the major points of the day and give great advice to anyone to didn't attend. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up the digital marketing area of emphasis and I'm so excited to go to SparkSouth in the fall! Thanks for sharing about your experience!

    ReplyDelete